Music Mastering Engineer
- GRAMMY™ nominations for Classical recording (Elmer Bernstein), engineered Grammy- winning Rock (Stray Cats’ “Rock Therapy”) & Jazz albums (Miles Davis’ “Tutu”) and OSCAR- nominated film scores and soundtracks (e.g. “Black Hawk Down”, “Road to Perdition”).
- Received EMMY awards for music in television (“The Young & The Restless”, “The 35th Academy Awards”).
- Mastered over 500 album releases. Recorded and mixed hundreds more.
- Extensive recording and mixing experience for records, film/TV post, video games and jingles.
- Professional acknowledgments: member of Mastering Panels at AES, NAMM, and Tape Op conventions.
- Associated with: School for Audio Engineering (L.A. Campus), Musicians Institute (L.A.), Cal Arts (Valencia, CA), and the Von Kelemen Institute (San Jose, Costa Rica).
- NARAS Producers & Engineers Wing, L.A. Chapter.
2016 - Present: AfterMaster Audio Labs
Senior Mastering Engineer, joining the team of Larry Ryckman, Justin Timberlake, Shelly Yakus, Rodney Jerkins and Paul Wolff. A cutting-edge audio technology company, AfterMaster knows that "audio that relates, leads to music that elates"! But beyond music, their proprietary technology will revolutionize audio applications across the spectrum.
Artists include: Supersonic Blues Machine, Jimmy Messina
2003 – 2016 (12 years) Universal Mastering Studios, Hollywood, CA
Mastering, Mixing, and Pro Tools Engineer (Mixing & Archiving). Developed over $1,000,000 in new business.
Editing & Restoration on Sonic Solutions HD & SoundBlade, Pro Tools, and all analog & digital tape formats.
- Major clients include:
- Interscope/Geffen/A&M Records
- Capitol/EMI Records
- Concord Records
- Walt Disney Records
- Univision Records Group
- “The Voice” (NBC TV)
- The Quincy Jones and Henry Mancini Archives.
- · Artists include:
- Peter Erskine
- Imagine Dragons
- Billy Cobham
- Michael Buble
- Dave Koz
- John Waite
- Adam Lambert
- Leslie West
- Marilyn Manson
- Dashboard Confessional
- Mary J. Blige
- The Like
- Blink 182
- Robin Thicke
- Selena Gomez
- Also mixing of numerous indie & legacy artists (e.g. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Chuck Berry) plus over 200 Titles for Guitar Hero™, and Rock Band™.
2015 - Present: Ilibium™
Host/Producer of new IPTV interview show “Inside The Star Chamber”, where the icons of our industry - and not just celebrities and stars - who are the driving force behind these artists (the “behind the curtain” wizards: producers, engineers, label A & R, equipment designers/manufacturers, songwriters) share their passions, stories and new releases.
2002 – Present: Peter Doell Engineering, Hollywood, CA
Recording & Mixing service - Offer both studio & ‘live’ recording and mixing, with experience in a wide variety of musical styles. Ensemble size can range from a solo performer, to rock/jazz groups, to full orchestras. I coordinate artists, producers and players, as well as crews, vendors, logistics for delivery to your specifications. Featured In: Mix Magazine cover story, Universal Audio blog, and in “The Last Miles” by George Cole, interview about the recording of Miles Davis’ “Tutu” album. Interviews in: Working Class Audio: Episode #051, and British publication for the Institute for Engineering and Technology.
1999-2002 (3 years) Sony Pictures Scoring Stage, Culver City, CA
Crew Chief and Stage Recordist. Responsible for orchestral scoring set-ups and operations (mixing, layback, conform, dub, and score to picture). Mixer for pre-records, as well as engineer/recordist on Feature Film & TV. Dub Stages, Sound & Video Transfer, ADR & Foley. (film credits)
1983-1999 (15 years) Capitol Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA
Staff Engineer. Initial hire as Maintenance Tech, but soon became an in-demand session engineer. Record, O/D, and mix for hundreds of major artists’ albums (Miles Davis, Stray Cats, Dwight Yoakam, Bob Seger, Richard Marx, David Lee Roth, Wynton Marsalis) as well as network TV series (Young & The Restless, The Simpsons, Home Improvement, Seventh Heaven) and scores of feature film projects. Enhanced studio capabilities by pioneering “live” session recordings via ISDN lines (Frank Sinatra “Duets” in 1992), and mixing in-studio musical performances for “live” Broadcast (“King Biscuit Flower Hour”, etc.) with satellite uplink.
- Universal Audio
- Dangerous Music
- TC Electronics
Recent Recording Projects:
- Rachael McFarlane (“Hayley Sings”)
- Rhiannon (“Spontaneous”)
- Toby Keith (“White Trash With Money”)
- Otmaro Ruiz (“Sojourn”)
- David Roitstein (“Better Late Than Never”)
- Gene Cipriano (“First Time Out”)
- United Airlines (“Rhapsody In Blue” spots for Winter Olympics XX and Super Bowl XL)
- “American Idol” Musical Variety TV Show (music pre-records).
- “The Voice” (NBC TV), iTunes’ offerings.
- Video Games
- Remixed over 200 titles for Guitar Hero and Rock Band, including Nirvana, AFI, Wolfmother, Kiss, Rage Against the Machine, All American Rejects, Bob Marley, Rob Zombie and others.
- In-studio musical performances for “live” Broadcast (“King Biscuit Flower Hour”, etc.) with satellite uplink.
- Bachelor of Arts: Electronic Music Composition, S.U.N.Y. @ Albany (New York)
Cell: (323) 356-1177